Heading into April I thought I would be done with my goal for watching some films from the 1920’s and 1930’s. But as I look at what I roughly have planned for the 1940’s, I realize I do not want to move on from these decades until I finish up what I had planned to watch. The films I have planned before moving on are A Woman in Paris, Beggars for Life, October, Joyless Street, Spies and Sadie Thompson for the 1920’s and Earth, Desire, Quadrille, A Day in the Country, Street Angel, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, City Streets, The Four Feathers, Madam Satan, Land without Bread, The Bitter Tea of General Yen, Monkey Business and The Crime of Monsieur Lange for the 1930’s. These will likely comprise the majority of the films I see in April.
Once again, the letter grades are entirely arbitrary, and merely reflect my own subjective interest and response to the film on a first viewing.
63. Love Me Tonight (1932, Mamoulian): A-
65. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933, Lang): B
66. Basket Case (1982, Henenlotter): B-
67. Holiday (1938, Cukor): A/A-
69. Beats, Rhymes and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest (2011, Rapaport): B-
71. The Threepenny Opera (1931, Pabst): C
72. A Day at the Races (1937, Wood): B+
73. Sabotage (1936, Hitchcock): B/B-
76. The Pearls of the Crown (1937, Guitry): A-
79. Destiny (1921, Lang): B-/C+
81. King of Devil’s Island (2011, Holst): B
82. The Story of a Cheat (1936, Guitry): A/A-