In case you haven’t heard, the final eight episodes of “Breaking Bad” have started airing. I’ll be doing video reviews of these final eight in an effort to preserve the more visceral enthusiasm I’ve had for this show, and to hopefully share some thoughts, observations and reactions with fellow fans. I can’t put into words what watching this show has meant, as someone who is a lifelong fan of great storytelling. It has truly a privilege to watch this unfold. . I was going to write episode reviews, but I prefer to capture the play-by-play and to share my obsession with this show through video rather than typing. It’s a more immediate way for me to be able to look back on the show’s wrap-up. So I’ll be posting the videos from each week.
If “Blood Money” is any indication, then we are in for something really special over the next 7 Sunday nights.
Some topics covered:
- Why Breaking Bad, unlike recent show endings like Lost and BSG, is likely to actually live up to its expectations
- The ancient ruin of the White household and disorienting beginnings
- Pacing worries dissolved (!)
- The one tangible thing left to root for
- The “devastatingly casual” reveal of Walt’s current health
- We’ve been waiting for that ricin to be used for seasons now; How I Am Convinced It Will Come Into Play
- Walt and Skyler; bonded by costume color palettes
- The absence of a best-case scenario for Jesse
- The transparency of Walt’s bullshit
- Bryan Cranston’s masterful direction of that Walt/Jesse scene
- Jesse infects a random street with poisoned cursed money; discussing a haunting scene of perverted charity (big kudos to Dave Porter’s work here)
- Walt/Hank showdown: Diving into that game-changing climactic scene
- Thoughts on next week’s possibilities